During the assembly on Friday 14 October, Mrs Walton mentioned Black History and she went on to highlight the achievements of:
- George Washington Carver, who overcame tremendous hardship to make unusual and important discoveries in the field of agriculture.
- Harriet Tubman, born a slave who escaped slavery and went on to help others to escape.
- Jesse Owens, an Olympic Gold Medalist, who didn't give up when faced with prejudice and adversity to achieve his dream.
- Martin Luther King Jr, a leader in the American Civil Rights movement.
- Sojourner Truth, born a slave who went on to become involved in gaining rights for women.
All of their biographies are on display outside the Key Stage Two library.